Re: Weak Rivets of Titanic, Weak Steel Bearing Walls of WTC, Weak,Levees of New Orleans- Weak Gussets of I-35W Bridge= 6000 deaths

To: Structural Engineers Association International Members
From: Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl
Date: April 17, 2008
Subject: Weak Rivets of Titanic, Weak Steel Bearing Walls of WTC, Weak Levees of New Orleans- Weak Gussets of I-35W Bridge= 6000 deaths

Dear SEA-Int. Friends:
I had sent a copy of my earlier posting on this subject to my graduate students in CE247-Design of Steel and Composite Structures and one of them has sent me a reply that I felt to share with you. The importance of it is that most of these graduate students are joining the practice in 4 weeks and it is important to have a glimpse of what they think? Another important item was the student's pointing out to me the existence of 'Order of Engineers" which I now plan to see to it that we have it in our school.

So here is the e-mail from a graduate student at UC Berkeley structural engineering program. Like before, if you have any reply posted , I will forward it to my class. In your response to grad student, please follow the general rule of posting on the Internet and be polite and have no personal attacks on the person who is making comments Also, please refrain from making unlawful statements, which unfortunately have occurred here in these pages once in a while resulting in several of best engineers contributing to this forum to leave the forum in frustration.
Sincerely,
Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor and Consultant on Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering and
Protection of Buildings and Bridges against Blast and Impact.