Field Grading of Existing Wood Framing

I am looking at a 70's office building that has 2 cracked 4x roof purlins
out of maybe 300. There is a knot in the tension zone and looking around the
building there are several other beams that also have knots in the tension
zone. It is stamped Sel Str. The tenant improvements will add some
additional load to the beams. Based on an analysis using allowables from the
1977 UBC these beams are adequate. Do you think hiring a grader would be a
good idea and once graded would it be appropriate to use the design values
from the 1977 UBC, can a grader make that decision?

Thanks,

Jeff