RE: Field Grading of Existing Wood Framing

Sorry I hit send before I finished my email.

The 2 failed beams can be strengthened to take all the load. However, there are potentially up to 300 20' beams that would need to be strengthened if we use lower allowable loads than the 77 UBC. I do not know anything about grading costs and procedures. We need to consider an economic solution. If we strengthen the existing beams we still need to establish if others are damaged and what the appropriate allowable stresses are. We can not add full height beams since the roof joists are hung into the beam.
Jeff

From: Jeff Smith [mailto:jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Field Grading of Existing Wood Framing

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:16 PM
To: jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Would just doubling up the beams with new ones be possible?  And maybe cheaper than hiring a grader.

Ralph

In a message dated 4/17/08 3:13:47 PM, jeffsmith7(--nospam--at)comcast.net writes:
I am looking at a 70's office building that has 2 cracked 4x roof purlins
out of maybe 300. There is a knot in the tension zone and looking around the
building there are several other beams that also have knots in the tension
zone. It is stamped Sel Str. The tenant improvements will add some
additional load to the beams. Based on an analysis using allowables from the
1977 UBC these beams are adequate. Do you think hiring a grader would be a
good idea and once graded would it be appropriate to use the design values
from the 1977 UBC, can a grader make that decision?

Thanks,

Jeff