A Programming Question

List,

Many years ago a wrote a rather clunky BASIC program to design open-web steel joists. After getting a few recent joist design jobs, I found an error in my code which, thankfully, erred on the safe side. Since I'll have to fix the error, I've started wondering if it's worthwhile updating the whole program (and possibly a few others). What would be the most efficient way for somebody with very limited programming skills to bring these old DOS programs into the 21st century? My first impulse is to just write some Excel spreadsheets but I wondered if there were some other, simpler options I'm overlooking.

Thoughts?

cheers,
Gary