Re: A Programming Question

On Apr 18, 2008, at 7:44 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:

What would be the most efficient way for somebody with very limited programming skills to bring these old DOS programs into the 21st century? My first impulse is to just write some Excel spreadsheets but I wondered if there were some other, simpler options I'm overlooking.
Your first obligation is to correct the error in the DOS version so that doesn't go any further while you're re-writing stuff. Excel is a good option for quick and dirty unless you need macros or some other manifestation of VBA, which I hear is going away. MathCAD may be an option or some other calculation package like Mathematica's CalcCenter or RealBasic .

I'm faced with the same thing with an ASME Code calculation Excel workbook, and some other programs I've written for billing and section property calculation. MathCAD isn't an option for me (Machead) nor would I go back on my vow to dance naked down the Nicollet Mall on New Years Day before I ever do business with MathSoft even if it were. RealBasic looks like the answer, but I haven't given up on CalcCenter. My rationale is to stick with a stand- alone package able to produce stand-alone apps rather than depend on Microsoft's whims.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/