retrofit vertical reinforcement in masonry wall

I occasionally analyze single story residences where the construction permit has expired and the building has to be brought up to current codes.

Masonry buildings sometimes require that additional vertical wall reinforcement be specified.

I am familiar with a procedure for retrofitting deformed bars into an existing wall; however, in some cases where the wall has been poured solid there are no empty cells available for the usual retrofit method.

I’m wondering if a retrofit could be specified in a manner similar to that used in Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) construction where a vertical slot is cut into the wall and a threaded rod is grouted in place with a washer and nut at the top and post-installed anchor (adhesive or mechanical) at the base.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412

www.arkengineering.net