Re: A Programming Question

Gary,

I think using VBA for Microsoft Excel is a good way to update your Basic code. The basic code for the formulas can reused in VBA. The old basic code for screen display will be useless but is easy to format screen displays in VBA. You specify what you want to display and VBA provides most of the basic code.

From my experience, writing long formulas in excel is tough, its better to
do it in using VBA. You create special functions using VBA and use it in the spreadsheet. Your old basic code could be used in creating these special functions.

hth,

Alex Nacionales

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc." <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca>
To: "SEAINT Mail List" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 8:44 PM
Subject: A Programming Question

List,

Many years ago a wrote a rather clunky BASIC program to design open-web steel joists. After getting a few recent joist design jobs, I found an error in my code which, thankfully, erred on the safe side. Since I'll have to fix the error, I've started wondering if it's worthwhile updating the whole program (and possibly a few others). What would be the most efficient way for somebody with very limited programming skills to bring these old DOS programs into the 21st century? My first impulse is to just write some Excel spreadsheets but I wondered if there were some other, simpler options I'm overlooking.

Thoughts?

cheers,
Gary