RE: Climate Change

That is still the "political" (with a nice religious twist) side of the
discussion.  The less political side of sustainable design is talking about
the technical side of things.  Don't get so wrapped up in the "whys".  Not
everyone believes in sustainable design because they think that global
warming is real and will destroy the world.  Some might just think that
"hey, might it not be nice to try to make more prudent use of materials and
maybe save myself some money".  Sustainable design is also about making your
building better sealed and weather tight so that you don't have to spend as
much on yearly heating and cooling costs.  Or selecting materials that might
be more locally available, which might be good for the environment (i.e. you
don't have to have them shipped as far, thus less polutions) and waste less
gas, but more importantly might cost less.

The point is that while it is entirely possible that the reasoning that some
people use to promote sustainable design (aka global warming) could in
reality might be bunk, it does not mean that there are not good things about
sustainable design which should be talked about whether global warming is
real or not.

If for no other reason than there are a LOT of people who do believe in
sustainable design and like it or not, you will likely be faced with dealing
with it in this profession at some point.  While it is your right to think
your client might be nuts for believing in such stuff, I would suggest that
telling your client to their face that they are nuts is not good for
business.

And for what it is worth, I am of the opinion that there are some aspects of
the sustainable design movement that is pure politics/power grab...but then
that is the case with just about any human endevour.  Someone always wants
to twist anything into an effort to make money, gain an edge, or control
stuff.  But, that does not make ALL sustainable design stuff bad.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI