Re: Climate Change

Normally, I don't agree with Bill. But on this topic he has hit the nail on the head.

With the fuel prices as they are, a cheaper solution (in investment plus recurring costs) is usually the most energy efficient any ways. I bet building multi-storied out of concrete, steel and masonry with judicious use of "renewable" wood, beats straw bale houses hands down in "energy efficiency".

It is only living in cities built with concrete and steel that allow some of us the luxury of walking to the office. If all those city blocks were made of bales of straw, you would have to use the BMW much more often.

Syed A Masroor
Consulting Structural Engineer
Karachi, Pakistan