By Hamid Adib, Senior Vice President, WSP, Cantor Seinuk, New York, Los Angeles, London, Dubai

Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2008, Time: 2:30-3:00pm, Place: Sibley Auditorium, UC Berkeley Campus. http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh/UC-Campus%20Map%20and%20Sibley%20Auditorium.JPG

Abstract:
We will explore two iconic projects that innovation has played a key role in their design. The first structure is Torre Mayor, tallest building in Mexico City, designed and built after the devastating 1985 Mexico City earthquake and its lateral load resisting system that performed well during the 2003 quake, shortly after the building’s completion. The Second is the Hearst tower in New York City, a Gold LEED certified building, built within the footprint of the original 1920s structure while keeping the original façade and employing a grand lobby.

**Speaker: Hamid Adib, Ph.D., P.E., S.E., Senior Vice President at WSP Cantor Seinuk. He has over 27 years of experience in the management and performance of structural engineering services for broad range of projects. He has extensive experience in the design and construction of office buildings, educational facilities, medical centers and hospitals, laboratories and theaters. He has been in charge of design of a number of high profile projects, working with world renowned architects. Hamid has also served as the principal in charge of many high profile protective design and security upgrade projects for the Northeast’s important infrastructures.Hamid is a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers and has served as a Board of Governors member of their Structural Engineering Institute. He is a licensed Professional or Structural Engineer in 13 States