ASCE 7-05 Diaphragm Design

The way I read section 12.10.1.1, it means that diaphragms shall only be design for the RHO factor when they are transfer diaphragms in Seismic Design Categories D, E, & F.

This seems logical (and OMEGA would kick in too due to the discontinuity).

This can be difficult to track if another frame line is taking load out of adjacent frame (even one that is not discontinuous) through the diaphragm (like unzipping it). This can happen say when you have say:

A 5 story braced frame from foundation to roof and then near bye a frame from foundation to 2nd floor. At the second floor diaphragm, force transfer can occur even though the 5 story frame is continuous.

Anyone beg to differ?

I guess the moral of the story is have RHO = 1.0 and get 2 frames per side...

--
-gm