RE: ITEM: Oregon State Climatologist "Wasn't Purged" for His Views

I resent when people call ecofreaks "enviro-crazies".

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ITEM: Oregon State Climatologist "Wasn't Purged" for His Views

And you are "debating"?  I don't consider calling people whose views you
disagree with as "enviro-crazies" as "debating".  It is the typical tactic of
"that person is obviously a moron and not worth debating".  I would argue
that such tactics serve just as much to stiffle real debate on the issue as
your claim about "government types".

I respect Taylor.  I am not sure if I am of the exact same mind as him, but I
am rather close.  He was rather clear in that the issue of global warming is
not clear cut (as people on EITHER side of the issue claim it to be).  He
labelled himself as a skeptic, but I did not seem him outright say that it is
impossible.  He more or less said that it is much too difficult to clearly
determine if it is real, but he does not see it as likely and thus, he is
doubtful.  I agree with him that it is much too difficult to clearly
determine if it real or not, but I tend to be a little less skeptical as I
find it hard to believe that having billions of people on this planet for the
first time using a bunch of modern "stuff" that has never existed before
(that we know of) will not have some impact on the environment.  Thus, I tend
to be less skeptical than him.  Does that mean that I believe that the Earth
is doomed due to global warming.  I would answer with a resounding "I don't
know, but maybe...maybe not".

I will also note that if you carefully read his words, he is darn careful to
talk in terms of "belief" or "opinion".  Unlike zealots on either side of the
issue, he did not try to pass off his belief or opinion as known fact.

As he alluded to, zealots on both side of the issue tend to want it to be a
black or white issue.  But, in reality, like many issues, it is a lovely crap
load of grey.  But, instead of talking about it with respect, we end up with
the two extremes making meaning discussion impossible.  And as a result, such
discussion rarely ends up being productive, but rather end up with a bunch of
people calling others names (like "enviro-crazies").

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI