From: Paul Feather [mailto:PFeather(--nospam--at)se-solutions.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASCE 7-05 Diaphragm Design

Rho would apply because it is applied to the base shear.  Omega would not apply to the diaphragm.  Rho is always one for categories B or C.

Having a full height frame and then some less than full height frames is not a discontinuity in my opinion, anymore than using less bays of bracing in a frame as you go up in elevation.  Each frame is still continuous from start to foundation.  A discontinuity exists when the five story brace stops at level two and needs to transfer to another line.

Yes, force transfer can occur when you introduce an additional element in the lower parts of the building, but be careful in the analysis because computers will show large force jumps that are not realistic.  But this is not a discontinuous system.