RE: Earth Day, Then and Now ...

If you don't think we were headed in the wrong direction prior to the first
Earth Day, consider:

4 years after the first Earth Day, and as a result of the first smog related
automobile requirements, the nation's last recorded Stage Three smog alert
occurs in Upland, CA. Ozone levels hit .51 parts per million. Gov. Ronald
Reagan urged residents to "limit all but absolutely necessary auto travel"
and recommends that people drive slower to reduce emissions.

Does that sound like the planet was doing well prior to 1970?

Since the first Earth Day, how many times has The Cuyahoga River in Ohio
caught fire as it actually did in the late 60s, making it a poster child for
the Earth Day movement?  I haven't heard much about that lately.

Does that sound like a planet moving in the right direction prior to 1970?

How quickly we forget what life on this planet was like prior to 1970, but
I'm old enough to have lived through some of the worst of it here in LA. I
remember, for example, getting sore throats from breathing the smog on
really bad days.

All I can say is, good thing some of the more progressive among us heeded
the predictions and did something.

I have not responded to this thread heretofore because I felt it
inappropriate to this venue, but if you want to take this board into a real
debate about environmentalism, be my guest.

-db

emissions.-----Original Message-----