Re: Vibration Problem

Sounds like you've got a resonance in the structure. You might need to determine whether the pipe is amplifying the compressor vibration first. If the pipe is increasing the amplitude of the compressor vibration, you might be able to stiffen or (more likely at higher frequencies) dampen the vibration at the pipe. Otherwise, you'll need to isolate the pump from the structure, and possibly add a tank/baffle between the compressor and pipe to reduce transmission of the compressor pulses in your fluid (sorry, can't think of the correct term).

It may be possible to find and dampen the individual components which are being excited, but you'll need a detailed FE model to get accurate responses and to determine what the modal mass participation is of the structure at that frequency to determine if it is large portions of the structure instead of individual components.

Jordan

Swami Raviraj (Mumbai - Civil) wrote:
In one of the process structure(in petroleum industries ) which is @ 60m high & plan dimensions 34 x 54m at bottom (with offset of 9 x 12m ) & reduced to 22x 20m(at top)
It's RCC up to first level & steel above it.
It's already erected at site (Operating condition)
there is one big compressor  at ground level (located at hardly 1 - 1.5m) from  main structure.
Two big pipes are coming from this compressors (900 dia) & entering in main structure at 25m level from ground level 3 supports are taken for pipe from main structure at intermediate levels.

when  we start this compressor the structure also starts vibrating (& its really much more like earthquake at 25m level)

Now I have to check that why its happening & what are the remedial measures for it.

So I need your suggestions for it

Regards,
Raviraj R. Swami Tecnimont ICB,
Civil Dept.