From: akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: corrosion at weld points
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:52:01 -0400

More than once while doing forensic work, I have seen severe corrosion at unprotected and painted steel specifically at or near the welds. Both the the connected member and the main member. Is this due to some chemical reaction during the weld process that makes the steel more susceptible to corrosion? Any links or PDFs on the subject would be appreciated. I am guessing it has something to do with the carbon content or some other metallurgic reason.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Kester, P.E.
Principal/Project Manager
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
1510 E. Colonial Ave., Suite 301
Orlando, FL 32803

Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.