Free-Fall of Concrete

Howdy, Y'all.
I've seen many specs and General Notes that don't allow free-fall of concrete more than 5 ft (tremie or other means req'd).  There is nothing in any code documents that I'm aware of that nix free-fall.  Frankly, I don't see anything wrong w/ it and agree with the one article I've seen addressing it.  Maybe a very long drop and large aggregate may cause some of the aggregate to bounce off the concrete below separating it.
I'd like to to hear what others are doing and any documented results or articles supporting either.