Subject: RE: Free-Fall of Concrete
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:21:14 -0700
From: rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I worked for the contractor in building New York City's West Side Treatment Plant.  We had 36" diameter steel pipe caissons that were driven to rock and then socketed into the rock.  There was rebar only in the top of the caissons.  We filled the caissons with concrete, using free-fall.  Everybody thought it was working until the Resident Engineer had us make an exploratory boring through the concrete in several of the caissons - DISASTER!!  Voids were found.  More borings had to be made.  More voids were found.  This one cost us large!

Bob Garner, S.E.