From: Joseph R. Grill [mailto:jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:21 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Alternate Wind Provision

Gordon,

I understand the definition.  I am only pointing out that the question of “rigid” came out during the seminar that I listened to, and the presenter, said that a plywood diaphragm would not be considered rigid for his simplified approach.  I don’t recall for sure if his simplified method is the same as what is being considered in the ICC hearings, but if I recall correctly, it is.  I may be wrong though.

Personally, I think his simplified approach, which tabulated net wind loads under certain criteria, is a pretty good thing for residential work.

I was just pointing out that there are those that would say that a plywood diaphragm does not support the “rigid” criteria for the simplified approach.  However, it may fall under the definition  of a “simple diaphragm”.

All the more reason to dislike the ASCE 7-05 wind criteria.

Joe