RE: COLD FORMED TUBES

One item to keep in mind is that the section properties of HSS in the Manual are based on the thickness of the walls being 97% of the specified thickness to account for standard practice in the manufacture of these things.  (I think it was 97%, I can't find it in the Manual).

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Hewitt, Chris [mailto:hewitt(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:30 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: COLD FORMED TUBES

Gentlemen,

The AISC Specification provisions for HSS apply to cold-formed tubes.  In the Steel Construction Manual, the section properties for these members can be found in Tables 1-11 through 1-13.  The HSS connections manual is no longer in print, but a design guide on the same subject is currently being developed by AISC.

I hope that this helps.

Chris