Re: Free-Fall of Concrete [segregation]

I beg to disagree.  Imagine the first bit of concrete falling 8' or 12' down into wall forms, hitting rebar on the way down, losing a little cement paste every time it touches a rebar, so that when it gets to the bottom of the form it's mostly aggregate, with much less paste.  I could show you a photo of the resultant wall, with nothing but aggregate (AKA rock pockets) at the bottom 6" or so of the wall.  Not good.

We solved that problem by first placing a several-inch-thick "bed" of grout (for lack of  better word), consisting of the regular concrete mix without the large aggregate, in the bottom of the forms.  This provided a good mix at the construction joint with the previous pour.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA