RE: Retaining Wall Surcharge

As Bill points out, make sure that you're referring to the same things
when you discuss this.  Also, think abou about a vehicle that would be
there on the uphill side of the wall.  A truck that weighs 8,000 lbs and
is 7' x 18' will have an area of 126 sq. ft. which corresponds to a pressure
over that area of 63.5 psf.  If it's just a pick-up truck, then it'll be even
less, maybe half as much.  Granted the wheel loads can be much higher.
You could have 2 kips to 3 kips on a wheel near the edge of the wall, if
the driver is crazy enough to drive right up against it, but try distributing
that load down to see how it equates to a uniformily placed surcharge load.

Bottom line, if you're stamping it, then you've got to be comfortable with it.

Take Care,
Lloyd

On 30 Apr 2008 at 14:25, William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com wrote:

> Make sure you're talking the same language - vertical surcharge
> pressure vs horizontal surcharge pressure. (horizontal = k*vertical)
>
> Bill Sherman
> CH2M HILL / DEN
> 720-286-2792

Thank you,