From: seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: When is Flame Bending Acceptable?
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 21:43:18 -0500

I’m wondering when flame bending of steel in the field is acceptable.  I’m considering using it on a tension strap anchor.  I have a case where I want to use a steel bar to be a tension tie to a concrete column.  I have a concrete beam in the way.  I want to go down the face of the beam and bend the bar back into the column.  The face of the column sets back 2 inches from the face of the beam.  I’m thinking about putting a steel shim in at the setback to keep the edge of the concrete beam from chipping and bending the strap back to the face of column where I can expansion bolt it into the concrete.

I don’t think it is reasonable to pre-bend it because this will occur numerous times and the 2” setback is not exact in each case.  Would this be a bad idea?   What precautions should be taken r what other option should I consider?

Thanks.

Rich

Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.