Re: Wind Uplift on Awning

Bill,

In my opinion it would be components & cladding unless it is an element that is directly used to support the whole "structure"...and even then you might still have to check both C&C and MWFRS.  Think of a stud in an exterior shear wall that acts as the end post of the sheallwall for overturning.  That stud would first have to be checked/design for C&C wind loads for out of plane bending and shear, etc.  Then it would also need to be checked for MWFRS loads for in plane shear acting on the shearwall that results in tension compression.

As to the specifics, I don't have my ASCE 7-05 in front of me at the moment, so I cannot help with that at the moment.  I can take a look later if someone else has not already offered one.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI