RE: Structural Bolts in Opened Kegs

Matthew,
You need to get a copy of the Structural Bolting Handbook from the Steel Structures Technology Center.  (This is Bob Shaw's company.)  Reference pages 66 & 67.  In it he provides good information and the appropriate references to the RCSC.
www.steelstructures.com

Specific to your inquiry.  The RCSC states that only the manufacturer of the twist off bolts can re-lubricate the bolts.  The other bolts should be verified by contacting the manufacturer.

The lubrication of bolts is a water soluble lubricant.  Bolts can be over-lubricated and under-lubricated.

If you allow re-lubrication, requre a verification in the Skidmore if you have are requiring fully tensioned bolts.  If the bolts are not fully tensioned, it is not much of an issue.

This is a pervasive problem for complicated structures.  You may have a crew installing a lot of bolts and then the structure is hit by a rain storm prior to tensioning the bolts.  The lubrication can be removed, and then you need to verify the tension in a representative number of bolts in a Skidmore.  You need to verify that you can get the tension that is required.

I personally like using the combination of a twist off bolt (because of their ease of installation) and the use a load indicating washer (which can be checked with a feeler gauge).  It still has to be verified in a callibrated Skidmore.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Subject: Structural Bolts in Opened Kegs
> Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 12:25:01 -0700
> From: MSteiner(--nospam--at)ThorntonTomasetti.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>

> All of the structural bolts on a project were stored in one location on
> the site. During a lift some construction materials fell on the storage
> area and broke open the pallet of bolt kegs.
>
> Not sure what quantities are standard bolts (A325, A490) compared to
> twist-off type (F1852). I've read and re-read the commentary in section
> 2.2 of the structural joint Specification. We aren't the designer for
> the project, but are trying to respond to the contractors request for a
> supply of all new bolts.
>
> Can standard A325 and A490 bolts be cleaned and lubricated by the
> fabricator or erector? Will manufacturers of twist-off bolts
> "re-lubricate" open containers?
>

> Matthew R. Steiner, P.E., S.E.
> Senior Project Engineer
> Thornton Tomasetti
> 2415 Campus Drive, Suite 110
> Irvine, CA 92612
> T 949.271.3300 F 949.271.3301
> MSteiner(--nospam--at)ThorntonTomasetti.com
>

> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> The information in this email and any attachments may contain
> confidential information that is intended solely for the
> attention and use of the named addressee(s). This message or
> any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed
> or retained by any person without authorization from the
> addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, please
> notify the sender immediately, and delete this message.

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it out!