Re: Climate Change

BIll,
One example I know of is Chevron, and their refinery in Richmond, CA.  (FYI...  Richmond is in western Contra Costa County = much less affluent socio-ecomonic region, while their HQ is in San Ramon, in eastern CoCo County = very affluent)

They apparently have a habit of determining how much property tax they pay the county every few years.  while they add new structures, they get away with setting their tax rate.  And, when the county supervisors and city officials in Richmond say, "hey- how many times are you gonna give a "shelter-in-place alert" and not pony up for vital health care services necessary near your refinery?", Chevron threatens legal action against the City and County which is strapped?  Local residents suffer various ailments, particularly respiratory conditions, as well as higher rates of cancer.  Chevron (and others) records multi-billion dollar profits on a quarterly basis.  Yet, when the City of Richmond says "you can't take what's legally ours..." (i.e.  taxes owed), big oil will put up a legal fight to avoid paying.

Do a search of the San Francisco Chronicle, The Contra Costa Times, The Oakland Tribune and others, and you'll see plenty of evidence.

If I strayed OT, so be it.  big Oil sets their own rules, which becomes very easy to do when one of their own is a high ranking official within the executive branch of government.