foundation settling

I took a look at a ~70-yr-old church where one corner of the foundation
appears to be settling.  About 6' to either side of a corner there are
big cracks running from the visible part of the stemwall all the way up
through the stone veneer (over wood framing) to the plate (it's
1-storey).  These are big cracks, 1/4" at the widest, and they have
transferred all the way through the sheetrock inside.

The snow is just about gone (!), so we'll be digging up to have a better
look soon.  I could see a fix with a wider footing or auger piles, but
shouldn't the existing be jacked up before further movement is
prevented?  How would a contractor do this?

thanks,
Gordon Goodell