Conical washers

Yes, in the 80's Dr Charlie Kircher suggested Conical washers for our slotted  bolt connection in diagonal steel bracing. He had seen them used for nuclear power tank and plumbing connections. My boss, the late Thomas Fitzgerald of San Francisco, invested in testing of the sliding bolt connection with the Conical washers. The intent was to absorb seismic energy. I implemented a design method using the Conical washers for a building near Union Square Park. The manufacture had stored samples tightened and exposed to weather to test their longevity. Some probably still exist. We had also made some steel plate shear walls.

Anyways, as for wood connections, the Conical Washers have high tension values intended for steel construction. Probably too high for a wood application. Design or find a lighter gage  Conical Washer that has a proof of, time tested, creep affects.

David Merrick, SE
Sacramento