foundation settlement

Gordon:

I have done this 2 ways.  Both ways will require a geotechnical investigation.

1.  One is to add a grade beam below, and around the existing footing with sacrificial jacks, which allow you to raise the settled footing, then pour new concrete.

2.  Another approach I have used is to add ‘Dixie’ helical anchors (www.macleanpower.com).  They have a retrofit bracket to be bolted to the existing settled footing, and the footing can be raised using several anchors at a time.  You may want to consider doing a floor level survey with a manometer to document how much settlement has occurred, and where.  The locations and extent of the settlement is sometimes not obvious.  After raising, the voids are filled with lean concrete.

Approach 2 is cheaper.

Respectfully,

IDS Group, Inc.

Bob Freeman, AIA, EIT