RE: Shear Wall Strength Reduction

All shear and hold down values were devalued by emergency ordinance after the Northridge quake from the old ’91 UBC table 25 K-1.  If you look at COLA Table 2306.4.1 you will see remnants of that ordinance.

I just spent the better part of last weekend beginning the process of updating all my excel spreadsheet stuff to the new IBC, and I couldn’t find that 75% provision in the amendment updates from COLA.  Is it still in there?

I see the 75% for “non-cyclic tested” hold-downs only.

Am I missing something?.

I think I will probably still use it regardless.  I’ve built enough stuff and seen enough horror in the field to get all warm and fuzzy over a nice fat safety factor that really nearly doesn’t cost the construction anything.

-db

PS:   Got my first taste of ASCE Wind about last Saturday Noon…By Sunday about 11A, I began to get a lot happier about being an Architect and not an SE and began to see a big pressing desire to find a seminar to attend somewhere.   No offense ASCE, but what a pile of it.     FTR, can someone explain how I prove to a plan checker that my house design doesn’t, “…have response characteristics making it subject to across wind loading, vortex shedding, instability due to galloping flutter; and does not have a site location for which channeling effects or buffeting in the wake of upwind obstructions warrant special consideration.”  ???    I hope I’d just have to write above the Method 1 calc,  “This ain’t Florida.” and leave it at that, but I guess somewhere there’s an equation to calculate “galloping flutter” that I don’t know about.