From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: foundation settling

Gordon,
>From what little I read about your particular issue, I would at least
consider helical foundations.  This is a web site for A.B. Chance.
http://www.abchance.com/

Take a look at the case histories.  A helical pile can be installed.  The
foundation jacked to the proper elevation and then locked off to maintain
the elevation required.  Then all you have to do is the repair to the
cladding and gyp board.  This is a repair that they performed using helical
foundations.
http://www.abchance.com/resources/case-histories/01-0707-atlas.pdf
It appears to be similar to what you describe.

A.B. Chance has a distributer in Colorado.  They can tell you what
contractors are close to your location in Idaho.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Subject: foundation settling
> Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:49:32 -0600
> From: GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)harmonydesigninc.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>
> I took a look at a ~70-yr-old church where one corner of the foundation
> appears to be settling. About 6' to either side of a corner there are
> big cracks running from the visible part of the stemwall all the way up
> through the stone veneer (over wood framing) to the plate (it's
> 1-storey). These are big cracks, 1/4" at the widest, and they have
> transferred all the way through the sheetrock inside.
>
> The snow is just about gone (!), so we'll be digging up to have a better
> look soon. I could see a fix with a wider footing or auger piles, but
> shouldn't the existing be jacked up before further movement is
> prevented? How would a contractor do this?
>

> thanks,
> Gordon Goodell

Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack
1. Learn more.