From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Tue 5/6/2008 6:44 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: I am beginning to think that those of you using the IBC are not as swift as I thought :)

Dennis,

My friend, keep in mind that for the vast majority of the country, seismic is a relatively non-issue.  The biggest area that deals with seismic (California) has only recently started dealing with the IBC.  Then factor in that most of the country allows the use of the IRC for single residence home design.  And then factor in that in many places in the country, an engineer is not required for single residence home design.  The point is that number of engineers that actively use the IBC for seismic design of wood-framed single residence homes is rather limited.  Then further reduce that number as only a small portion of those likely participate on this email list.  That is the unfortunately reality.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

<<winmail.dat>>