Re: I am beginning to think that those of you using the IBC are not as swift as I thought :)

I should have been clearer that the PRECEPTION of many engineers is that
seismic will not govern.  But, the reality is that in many locations it is
HIGHLY doubtful that there will be an engineer doing seismic design per the
IBC/ASCE 7 for a wood-framed single family residence...and of that small
number of engineers involved in such work, even fewer of them will be active
participates on this email list.  This does not mean that seismic design per
the IBC/ASCE 7 for single-family residence is not an important issue and
done regularly in certain areas outside of California...but it is limited.
I know that there are some locations that require the involvement of
engineers on single-family homes much like California does, but more often
than not, it is NOT required in many locations...especially where the IRC is
adopted.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI