From: "Conrad Harrison" <sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Gusset Plates in a 3rd Minnesota Bridge (Blatnik Br) are Found to be Faulty

What exactly do they do about fatigue in bridge design? Fatigue is
accumulative. So do they design for a fixed lifetime (number of cycles) and
monitor the bridge throughout its life. Or do they design for the endurance
limit of the material, assuming it has one. (Aluminium doesn't, steel alloys
generally do.)

My understanding is th.......