Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: HAS Weld Symbol

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]


The official source of welding symbols is AWS A2.4, "Standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing, and Nondestructive Examination", although AISC reproduces a lot of this information in their various publications.  You are correct that the AWS weld symbol for Stud Welds is a circle with an X in it with the stud diameter shown to the left of the symbol and the spacing of the studs on the right or, if preferred, you could shown the number of the studs in parenthesis below the stud symbol.

I use this weld symbol with size and number quite often for concrete embed plates, however, I suspect that most stud welding for composite metal deck flooring is handled in the NOTES section of the drawing similar to a plywood shear wall nailing schedule.  As long as your stud welding requirements are clear to the detailer and installer you can successfully handle it either way.

Be aware though that Stud Welding is actually a welding process not unlike SMAW, FCAW, or SAW and has a dedicated Chapter 7 within AWS D1.1, "Structural Welding Code - Steel".  It is not and should never be called out as a fillet weld all around unless this is specifically what you want.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.

"Joseph R. Grill" <jrgrill(--nospam--at)>
05/06/2008 09:42 PM
Please respond to seaint
HAS Weld Symbol

I was skimming through “Detailing for Steel Construction” second edition (AISC, NSD) book today.  On page 4-34 under “Stud Welds” there is a word description for the weld symbol for welding studs by a stud-welding gun.  It says a circle containing an “X” lying only on the arrow side with the stud size located to the left of the circle, pitch to the right and the number of studs in parentheses below the circle.  I have the stud size figured out, the pitch is the spacing?  But why list the number of studs, or for that matter the spacing, if that information is shown elsewhere such as on the framing plan.  Or, am I confused?  It also refers to figure 4-24bb.  When I go to figure 4-24bb the symbol there looks nothing like the word description.  It shows a butt weld with “SW” in the note location at the end of the symbol.
Are there any steel detailers out there that can clarify this for me.  I have seen on many standard details on structural drawings studs being welded with the weld symbol being a fillet weld “all around” with a fillet size given.  Is the fillet weld that I have seen appropriate? And, if so, what size of fillet size should be listed for the different stud diameters?
Joe Grill
The information transmitted is intended only for the person 
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain 
proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material.  
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are 
hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, 
distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon 
this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please 
contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual 
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company.