RE: HAS Weld Symbol

Even though it is technically required per AWS, I do not get into a twist about it.  BUT they still have to test it.  What an experienced welder will do is make the fillet larger than what is in the table, and then it will test OK.

The critical thing is the testing.  This should always be required.  The testing will also determine if the stud has the appropriate CE.  This is more important with welding DBA's as opposed to welding rebar.  Also, I just like hitting things with a hammer.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 08:38:56 -0700
> From: jatech(--nospam--at)telus.net
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Re: HAS Weld Symbol
>
> It has been my experience that small shops fabricating small projects will opt
> for fillet welding of studs rather than making the investment in a stud welding
> machine. It has also been my experience that they will not grind off the nipple.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> Quoting "Joseph R. Grill" <jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net>:
>
> > I was skimming through "Detailing for Steel Construction" second edition
> > (AISC, NSD) book today. On page 4-34 under "Stud Welds" there is a word
> > description for the weld symbol for welding studs by a stud-welding gun. It
> > says a circle containing an "X" lying only on the arrow side with the stud
> > size located to the left of the circle, pitch to the right and the number of
> > studs in parentheses below the circle. I have the stud size figured out,
> > the pitch is the spacing? But why list the number of studs, or for that
> > matter the spacing, if that information is shown elsewhere such as on the
> > framing plan. Or, am I confused? It also refers to figure 4-24bb. When I
> > go to figure 4-24bb the symbol there looks nothing like the word
> > description. It shows a butt weld with "SW" in the note location at the end
> > of the symbol.
> >

> > Are there any steel detailers out there that can clarify this for me. I
> > have seen on many standard details on structural drawings studs being welded
> > with the weld symbol being a fillet weld "all around" with a fillet size
> > given. Is the fillet weld that I have seen appropriate? And, if so, what
> > size of fillet size should be listed for the different stud diameters?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joe Grill

> *
> *
> * http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> * site at: http://www.seaint.org

Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends. Start sharing.