Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: foundation settling

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Gordon -
You might try getting in touch with Ted Matelich of Montana Helical-Pier.  They're a certified Chance Helical contractor and recently helped me out with a project in the Moscow-Pullman area.  From talking with him it sounds like they do a lot of work all over the Washington-Idaho-Montana area.
His email is contact info is:
Ted Matelich
Montana Helical Piers
Toll Free:  877-510-4295
Office:  406-755-2394
Cell:  406-253-6526
Fax:  406-755-2366
Email:  ted 'at' montanahelical 'dot' com
There is also an outfit in the Pasco-Kennewick area that does helical piers, but I don't know the name of them off the top of my head.
Good luck.
Josh Comfort, P.E.
Golden, Graper & Burton, Inc.

1500 W. Fourth Ave., Suite 509

Spokane, WA 99201

phone:    (509)624-3224

fax:           (509)624-3225
-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Goodell [mailto:GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: foundation settling

Bob & Harold,


Thanks for the leads on the helical piles.  There are great things about being in the middle of nowhere, but there are drawbacks, too.  For proprietary stuff like this if someone has to come from Denver to do the work it ends up costing more than a little country church can handle.   I’m waiting for a call back from Chance’s engineer.


The contractor (a congregation member who got this dropped on him) just called and we’re going to dig it up in one spot and see what’s really there, and then decide how to proceed.





Gordon Goodell

Driggs, Idaho



From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: foundation settling


From what little I read about your particular issue, I would at least consider helical foundations.  This is a web site for A.B. Chance.
Take a look at the case histories.  A helical pile can be installed.  The foundation jacked to the proper elevation and then locked off to maintain the elevation required.  Then all you have to do is the repair to the cladding and gyp board.  This is a repair that they performed using helical foundations.
It appears to be similar to what you describe. 
A.B. Chance has a distributer in Colorado.  They can tell you what contractors are close to your location in Idaho. 

Harold Sprague

> Subject: foundation settling
> Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:49:32 -0600
> From: GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
> I took a look at a ~70-yr-old church where one corner of the foundation
> appears to be settling. About 6' to either side of a corner there are
> big cracks running from the visible part of the stemwall all the way up
> through the stone veneer (over wood framing) to the plate (it's
> 1-storey). These are big cracks, 1/4" at the widest, and they have
> transferred all the way through the sheetrock inside.
> The snow is just about gone (!), so we'll be digging up to have a better
> look soon. I could see a fix with a wider footing or auger piles, but
> shouldn't the existing be jacked up before further movement is
> prevented? How would a contractor do this?
> thanks,
> Gordon Goodell

Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Learn more.

ExchangeDefender Message Security: Check Authenticity