Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: foundation settling

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
The distributer is in Denver.  There are contractors everywhere.  All it takes is a Bobcat and a hydraulic pump to install them. 
Have the distributor give you a reference in Jackson.  That should be close enough to you to keep from draining the donation plate.
If you want a more low tech solution try the following.
1.  Dig an underpin foundation wide enough for a jack and a sacrificial shore which can be a short pipe column.
2.  Place some concrete to support the jack and sacrificial shore
3.  Put a jack between the underpin and the bottom of the foundation
4.  Raise the corner slightly.
5.  Repeat the process on the other side of the corner
6.  Jack the corner until it is level
7.  Place and shim the sacrificial shore
8.  Place concrete to the bottom of the original foundation.  If you use a CLSM or a SCC, it will fill all of the voids with no need for vibration.  Consolidation may be a problem with regular concrete and the irregular bottom of the foundation. 

If you can get me into a good trout stream, I might come out and help you myself. 

Harold Sprague

Subject: RE: foundation settling
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 12:37:47 -0600
From: GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)
To: seaint(--nospam--at)

Bob & Harold,


Thanks for the leads on the helical piles.  There are great things about being in the middle of nowhere, but there are drawbacks, too.  For proprietary stuff like this if someone has to come from Denver to do the work it ends up costing more than a little country church can handle.   I’m waiting for a call back from Chance’s engineer.


The contractor (a congregation member who got this dropped on him) just called and we’re going to dig it up in one spot and see what’s really there, and then decide how to proceed.





Gordon Goodell

Driggs, Idaho



From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: foundation settling


From what little I read about your particular issue, I would at least consider helical foundations.  This is a web site for A.B. Chance.
Take a look at the case histories.  A helical pile can be installed.  The foundation jacked to the proper elevation and then locked off to maintain the elevation required.  Then all you have to do is the repair to the cladding and gyp board.  This is a repair that they performed using helical foundations.
It appears to be similar to what you describe. 
A.B. Chance has a distributer in Colorado.  They can tell you what contractors are close to your location in Idaho. 

Harold Sprague

> Subject: foundation settling
> Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:49:32 -0600
> From: GordonGoodell(--nospam--at)
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)
> I took a look at a ~70-yr-old church where one corner of the foundation
> appears to be settling. About 6' to either side of a corner there are
> big cracks running from the visible part of the stemwall all the way up
> through the stone veneer (over wood framing) to the plate (it's
> 1-storey). These are big cracks, 1/4" at the widest, and they have
> transferred all the way through the sheetrock inside.
> The snow is just about gone (!), so we'll be digging up to have a better
> look soon. I could see a fix with a wider footing or auger piles, but
> shouldn't the existing be jacked up before further movement is
> prevented? How would a contractor do this?
> thanks,
> Gordon Goodell

Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Learn more.

ExchangeDefender Message Security: Check Authenticity

Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics. Check it out!