Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: What to do?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
You really have no choice but to notify your client of the problem.  I would pass all communication by way of your client.

A cople of points:
--Do you have the OSHPD TI&O form which is filled out prior to obtaining the permit.  This will note the special inspection and structural observation requirements.  
--Request the IOR's reports, including his signoff for the project.
--Request all reports from the testing laboratory.
--I believe that the Contractor must also sign a statement that the work was done in accordance with the contract documents.  Ask for this signed form.
--It is the Owner not the Contractor's obligation to arrange for the IOR and special inspections.  The code does not allow the Contractor to hire or pay for the testing lab.  
--Review the 2001 CBC regarding structural observation.  The 2007 CBC states that the "Owner" as opposed to the Contractor, shall employ a registered design professional to perform structural observation.  

Make the requirements work for you.

When the above has been sorted out make a visit to the site and pop some ceiling tiles and verify that the unistrut assembly is in general conformance with your design.  Verify that the equipment anchorage that can be observed is what was required.

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********