From: Mark Gilligan [mailto:m_k_gilligan(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: What to do?

You really have no choice but to notify your client of the problem.  I would
pass all communication by way of your client.

A cople of points:
--Do you have the OSHPD TI&O form which is filled out prior to obtaining the
permit.  This will note the special inspection and structural observation
requirements.
--Request the IOR's reports, including his signoff for the project.
--Request all reports from the testing laboratory.
--I believe that the Contractor must also sign a statement that the work was
done in accordance with the contract documents.  Ask for this signed form.
--It is the Owner not the Contractor's obligation to arrange for the IOR and
special inspections.  The code does not allow the Contractor to hire or pay
for the testing lab.
--Review the 2001 CBC regarding structural observation.  The 2007 CBC states
that the "Owner" as opposed to the Contractor, shall employ a registered
design professional to perform structural observation.

Make the requirements work for you.

When the above has been sorted out make a visit to the site and pop some
ceiling tiles and verify that the unistrut assembly is in general
conformance with your design.  Verify that the equipment anchorage that can
be observed is what was required.