MWFRS and C&C wind loading: more k[l]

I missed that k[l] also applies to the net pressure coefficients on free roofs (open buildings to ASCE7-05). Whilst failing of the cladding may make an enclosed building an open building and increase loading on the frame which is still clad. For a canopy: local failure of the cladding can lead to large portions of the cladding peeling off: whilst this reduces the load on the primary frame, it increases the potential for cladding to become airborne. Airborne Steel cladding caused some major injuries during cyclone Tracy: and the Australian code is attempting to reduce this hazard.

So that a primary objective of our wind loading code is to keep all parts of the building anchored to the owner's property, and prevent it from becoming airborne debris which causes injuries to the public at large.

So C&C pressures are for localized effects, not small structures.

Regards

Conrad Harrison

B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust

Adelaide