Subject: RE: Snow Loads
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 13:25:06 -0400
From: gehrlich(--nospam--at)nahb.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Martin,

I presume you’re talking about the typical valleys in a gable/dormer roof system? (As opposed to industrial sawtooth roofs, folded-plate roofs, etc.)

There is not, to my recollection, a specific provision for typical valleys in ASCE 7-05. The question has come up a couple of times in the Snow Loads subcommittee as we work on the ASCE 7-10 updates. The general feeling seems to be that there is not an issue as long as the valley is unobstructed by a parapet or other feature; the assumption is the snow will still slide off. If you feel the snow won’t slide, you could take Cs = 1.0 and also Ce = 1.2 for a “sheltered roof” (per footnote ‘a’ of Table 7-2). Or you could use the sawtooth roof provisions, which I have done in the past, and you’ll be conservative. (At least according to the committee…)

Regards,

Gary

Gary J. Ehrlich, PE
1201 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005
ph: 202-266-8545  or 800-368-5242 x8545