From: sam2000 . (sam2000) [mailto:sam2000(--nospam--at)cyber.net.pk]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 2:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: soft story

  7 defines soft story as the one where "stiffness" is less than 70% of
story above. If stiffness is to be defined as I/L this would mean whenever
we have a 16ft 1st floor, we have a weak story, even though all the walls
and columns are continuing from the story above? This is frequently the case
in multi-story concrete buildings I design. I never thought of 1st story as
weak, unless I was missing a wall or something.

I'm afraid I haven't been reading it right. Have I?

Syed A Masroor
Consulting Structural Engineer
Karachi, Pakistan