Masonry Half Stresses

List,

The IBC does away with the UBC 97 half stress design (with no special inspection) for masonry.  However, Sec. 1704.5 has an exception that special inspection is not required for masonry foundation walls designed in accordance with tables 1805.5(1), 1805.5(2)….etc. These tables give very light reinforcement minimums - So light I’m sure we will always meet the minimum requirements.  Is this implying that special inspection is not required for masonry foundation walls? Perhaps a broader question could be: In this case do “foundation walls” mean building retaining walls?

Thanks,

Jordan Denio