porches in seismic areas

Hi Andrew:

Wood knee braces have been used successfully, by our structural office.

We also, like you, have been successful using inexpensive flagpole structures with steel posts.  Steel columns, steel beams, with moment connections would also be an option.

You could use wood posts in concrete as flagpoles, but the system would not last long due to water, termite, extra-terrestrial deterioration. (Just kidding).  Even if you use Redwood, or Cedar, the longevity would be a huge problem.

Respectfully,

IDS Group, Inc.

Bob Freeman, AIA, EIT

(949)387-8500