RE: Damaged Calculator

Yeah, I remember the vacuum tube tester.  Plug in a tube and it would tell you if it was O.K.  I even remember those old vacuum tube radios on the old G.M. luxury cars.  They had a sound you just don't get today, even with those zillion watt rigs in the speedracer cars.  Or how about that old gas-fired heater in early chevies.  Or the moto-minders on the radiator caps of Model A's.  Whoops, going back a little too far.

Bob G.

From: Michel Blangy [mailto:mblangy(--nospam--at)satco-inc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; steel steel; misc misc
Subject: RE: Damaged Calculator

Vish,

Although I am perhaps younger than most on the list, I can sympathize with you. I was raised around a machine shop environment. He was a tool and die maker. I would regularly tag along with my dad on his daily trips to the hardware store. What a collection of tools we now have. How sad it is to see what the local hardware shop has today as compared to yesteryear. My dad could/can fix ANYTHING (except an lcd).

Does anyone here remember the days when one could go down to the hardware store an get a new tube for the television? I don't, but my coworker loves to tell that story.

Michel