Alterations Chapter 34 2007 CBC

I am interpreting section 3403.2.3.2 to require that an entire building
needs to be seismically upgraded if any seismically resisting element has
its strength reduced by more than 10%. In the case of a concrete shearwall
flexible diaphragm building, if you punch a whole in an exterior shear wall
and reduce the strength by 10% you have to upgrade the whole building, not
just the altered shear wall or do the exceptions 1-4 allow just the altered
wall to be strengthend?

Thanks,

Jeff