From: chris.slater(--nospam--at)gmail.com [mailto:chris.slater(--nospam--at)gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Chris Slater
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: porches in seismic areas

I think the loads would have to be incredibly light.

Given a 7' column, with only 500# of lateral load, you get 3500 #-ft.
That's resisted by the couple in the bolts, at 3" apart.  So each bolt
winds up needing to be able to resist 14 kips.  Pretty sure NDS values
for through bolts in double shear are at the most in the 4 kip range.
Maybe less...

Am I missing something?

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Joseph R. Grill <jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net>
wrote:
> Another option?  But, probably for lighter laterally loaded columns.
Using