RE: Alterations Chapter 34 2007 CBC

Jeff,

I think you are interpreting the code properly, but I think there has to be some logic here, too. In you case, with a flexible diaphragm, reducing the shear strength of a line of lateral resistance by more than 10% shouldn't trigger having to upgrade the entire building, just the line of resistance affected.

Larry Hauer, S.E.