RE: Alterations Chapter 34 2007 CBC

Do I have the wrong code?

3403.2.3.2 has two limits; 5% reduced strength and 10% increase of seismic force.

A modified element is no longer an existing condition. Include in the modification reinforcement to prevent a more than 5% reduction in strength and to prevent more than a 10% increase of force to it and elsewhere. If another element does increase more than 10%, then make it part of the new by reinforcing it also. This becomes more of a concern if the stiffness of the first element is reduced by about 20%.

I think what might be more likely to kick in a full upgrade is when one adds an average seismic weight to a whole floor or building. Or a change in use.

David Merrick, SE